Project CURV3D: Finalizing the last details

By Johan Nyman, on 21. Dezember 2016

This blog series is about how it can look when you build your own case from scratch.

Part 1: The Beginning - http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/september/project-curv3d-the-beginning

Part 2: Hardware and case - http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2016/february/project-curv3d-hardware-and-case

Part 3: Finishing the structure - http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2016/november/project-curv3d-finishing-the-structure

Part 4: Custom parts and sleeving - http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2016/november/project-curv3d-custom-parts-and-sleeving

In this part I will go through how to polish acrylic that has some scratches, how I installed different custom parts and how I assembled the case.

So let’s start with the acrylic, this pieces of acrylic have been through a lot, so they have some scratches. So what to do? Well I use something called Novus Plastic Polish, this is the best polish I found for acrylic.

So there is three different parts, one for heavy scratches, one for fine scratches and one to make it clean and shine. First of all, if you have heavy scratches use the number 3 together with a microfiber cloth and buff in the same direction as the scratches.

After that I use the number 2 bottle with a clean cloth and buff in circle movements, I did this 2-3 times.

To finish it off I used the last bottle, sprayed over the surface and with a new clean cloth buffed it out so it’s clean and shiny.

Next thing I did was to shorten the pump-cable for the Corsair H75 as it does not have to be that long in this build. So I measured out how long it needed to be and cut it.

Heated up my soldering station and soldered the cables together with some heatshrink.

To make it look cleaner it also got some black sleeve.

Installed and mounted, looks much better than before. What do you think?

Let’s start mounting the different parts together! First of all, the 4x20 LCD, I glued it to the frontplate with some heavy-duty epoxy. The power-switch was also installed to the frontpanel.

The fangrill with dustfilter was installed by pushing it under the front casefeet and then screwed into the fan-frame in the back.

These casefeet is hand-milled in aluminium, they give builds a cleaner look and is very easy to install, just drill a hole and mount the casefeet with a bolt and nut, then just add the rubber-piece to stop some vibrations.

The last thing to be mounted is the front and backpanels. As I don’t want to have any screws visible these are also glued with epoxy. They are glued in one at a time with the help of straps and clamps. 

This is how it looks when it is mounted together.

In the next and last blog in this series I will show of how I install the hardware and how the case ends up looking. Leave a comment of what you think about the build and stay tuned for part six!


Kommentare